Survivor Series Special
I’ve been a fan of professional wrestling for decades now. And one of my favorite events each year is the WWE Survivor Series. Tomorrow night the WWE will present their annual Survivor Series pay-per-view event live from St. Louis and for the first time ever it is FREE! (Go to WWE.com for details)
This event is near and dear to my heart as I was in attendance for the very first Survivor Series back in in 1987. The event took place at the Richfield Coliseum (a building that was torn down years ago) and featured teams of five that strived to survive! It was headlined by a team captained by the late, great Andre The Giant vs. a team captained by Hulk Hogan.
The rules of the Survivors Series are fairly simple. When one team has been completely eliminated, the remaining members of the opposition are declared the winners and survivors.
This past week WWE.com posted a feature where current stars were asked to come up with their dream Survivor Series teams… which got me to thinking, what would be my dream Survivor Series teams using only characters from action movies.
THE GOOD GUYS
- Team Captain – Jericho “Action” Jackson: Action Jackson (Carl Weathers) is a tough cop with a reputation for getting results, but he’s also a Harvard Graduate, it is that mix of brains and brawn that make him a perfect team captain.
- Cheng Chao-an: Long before “Stone Cold” Steve Austin was kicking his boss’ ass. Cheng Chao-an (Bruce Lee) was doing it to his Big Boss. Cheng is not the biggest dog in the fight, but without question the fastest. It has been said that the blows that do the most damage are the ones an opponent doesn’t see coming and the opposition definitely won’t know what hit them when Cheng is in the ring.
- The Terminator: While Cheng brings the speed and agility, The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) brings the size and the power. The fact that he is an unstoppable killing machine from the future doesn’t hurt either.
- Frank Dux: Dux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) proved he can go the distance and that he was able to handle a variety of opponents when he won the Kumite.
- John McClain: McClain (Bruce Willis) thrives on adversity. This guy will not give up and can improvise with the best of them. If the odds are against you, this is definitely a guy you want on your team!
THE BAD GUYS
- Team Captain – Xander: The opposition is captained by the eccentric Xander (Jean-Claude Van Damme). Xander commands respect from his troops, which is of high importance in this team environment. He’s also cold blooded and partially crazy. But don’t expect him to do any biting… he’s a vegan.
- Chong Li: For Chong Li (Bolo Yeung) this is all about looking for redemption against Frank Dux, the man who won the Kumite at Chong Li’s expense. Li is a grizzled veteran and will be tough to beat as long as he doesn’t get too preoccupied with Dux and remembers the task at hand.
- The Predator: Who better to hunt down and eliminate the competition than an intergalactic hunter known as The Predator (Kevin Peter Hall). He definitely has an intimidating look and is the biggest competitor in this match.
- Ivan Drago: Super athlete Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) can definitely deliver some knock out punches. For his sake he better hope there’s no pre-match drug test however.
- Night Slasher: If there’s one guy on the team who may be more deranged than Team Captain Xander, it would be the man known as Night Slasher (Brian Thompson). Slasher was talking about the New World Order well before Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan were.