What Not To Watch: Reflex Action
Never has a movie in What Not To Watch history been more appropriately named than Reflex Action.
The film will test any action movie fans’ gag reflex the entire 98 minutes it runs.
- The Story: Quinn Taylor is a demolitions expert serving his country as part of the Gulf War, he returns home to reunite with his father Pops Taylor and brother Lee Taylor who work in a mine that his father owns. Some drug dealers want to use the mine to help smuggle drugs in from Mexico, so they are trying to buy the mine from Quinn’s father and when the Taylors don’t sell, things get ugly. Not a bad premise for an action movie, if the movie was made by professionals.
- 161 to 125: There is a single professional in this movie. Some how the writer, producer and director of the film Kevin Rapp managed to get Richard Lynch to star in this movie. My assumption is it was not more than a few hours of work for Lynch and that he was the only actor who was compensated in this movie and rightfully so. The combined number of credits of all the other 41 “actors” in the film equals 125… meanwhile ol’ Dick Lynch has 161 appearances on his resume. And seriously 41 actors?? There are major motion pictures with much smaller casts. Again, I’m only assuming here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of “pay to play” deal going on here. You help get this piece of crap made and you too could be in the cast.
- Logic Hole: One of the things that movies will get roasted for are holes in the logic and writer, producer and director Kevin Rapp knows that all too well, but he has all his bases covered. After all, if a drug dealer showed up and threatened you to sell your property to them, chances are you would call the cops. But the reason the Taylors don’t call the cops is because since Lee isn’t a high school football star anymore, the cops think the whole family is a joke and won’t help. I hope the police in whatever town Kevin Rapp lives in never helps him if he needs it because the biggest joke in this movie is that he is a filmmaker.
- Memorable Lines: A good action movie will have catchphrases and dialogue that you and your friends can repeat forever. This movie has dialogue like this… Quinn: “What time is it?”… Pops: “It’s WEDGIE TIME!!!”… Lee: “I’m not playing around Quinn. You put your hands anywhere near my butt and I’ll kill ya!”
- Montages: This movie had a first in it… that would be the first ever “Mining Montage” I can recall seeing. There also seemed to be a “Deleted Scenes Montage” where they just throw a bunch of stuff they filmed into a montage so it was not for nothing.
- IMDB: This movie currently has an IMDB rating of 6.6. The reason for this, only 31 people have rated the movie and from the comments it includes people who know Kevin Rapp personally or quite possibly people who have been paid by him to write positive reviews. Part of me wants to make it a personal mission to see to it that the IMDB rating drops to where it rightfully belongs, but I’ve already wasted over an hour and a half watching this piece of garbage and now the time I’m putting in to warn the rest of the world not to watch it. I have more productive things to do with my time than make sure this movie no longer outranks my beloved Death Wish 3 on IMDB.
Reflex Action is my new low for What Not To Watch Movies. My biggest fear is that since this movie is streaming on Netflix, that Kevin Rapp is being compensated for it and he’ll have the funds necessary to make another movie.
Please be sure not to watch Reflex Action if it comes up in your Netflix suggestions… as always, learn from my mistakes loyal BulletproofAction.com fans.