Six Degrees of Action: Home Alone 2/Escape from New York
Kevin McCallister wanted nothing more than to spend Christmas in New York City. Snake Plissken wanted nothing more than to rescue the President and escape from New York.
One is a John Hughes family classic, the other is a John Carpenter cult classic. Very different movies, but Six Degrees of Action can bring them together.
In Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) is once again separated from his family at Christmas (what are the odds?) But this time thanks to a snafu at the airport he ends up in New York City, while his family is in rainy Florida. This does not cast his parents Kate McCallister (Catherine O’Hara) and Peter McCallister (John Heard) in a positive light… but speaking of John Heard.
1. Gladiator (1992) – Heard plays a dad again, this time to James Marshall’s character Tommy Riley. Perhaps you read about this in Chad’s Unofficial Sequels piece a few weeks back. Gladiator also features Robert Loggia, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Brian Dennehy.
2. F/X – Dennehy plays Lt. Leo McCarthy in F/X (and F/X 2 for that matter) along with Bryan Brown, Tom Noonan and Jerry Orbach.
3. Universal Soldier – Orbach played Dr. Christopher Gregor in the Jean-Claude Van Damme/Dolph Lundgren film, Universal Soldier. A fun fact about that movie, Gregor’s housekeeper in the movie is the same housekeeper in The Goonies.
4. Bridge of Dragons – While Universal Soldier is one of Dolph’s better movies, Bridge of Dragons does not have that same distinction. Dolph did have the opportunity to work opposite Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in Bridge of Dragons. Tagawa was also in the Jeff Speakman movie, The Perfect Weapon…
5. The Perfect Weapon – Besides Speakman and Tagawa, The Perfect Weapon also featured Mako. Click here for a scene from The Perfect Weapon.
6. Armed Response – Mako co-starred with David Carradine and the legendary Lee Van Cleef in Armed Response.
Van Cleef plays Hauk, the man who brings Snake Plissken in to get the President off the prison island that Manhattan has become in Escape from New York.