Six Degrees of Action: Cannonball Run/Need for Speed
Both movies involve a cross country race, but one is a whacky 80’s comedy featuring an all-star cast and the other is based off a popular video game with Jesse from Breaking Bad.
On the surface they seem miles apart, but with just Six Degrees of Action we can bring them together!
I could have went in a couple different directions where Cannonball Run is concerned. Jackie Chan is in Cannonball Run, so is Roger Moore but I opted to go with the star of the movie himself, Burt Reynolds.
Reynolds plays J.J. McClure, who along with his partner in crime Victor Prinzim (Dom DeLuise) are competing with a cast of characters to win an illegal cross country race hosted by a wealthy Sheik (Jamie Farr).
1. Sharky’s Machine – Reynolds also plays tough Atlanta narcotics cop, Tom Sharky in Sharky’s Machine. One of the top villains in Sharky’s Machine is Billy Score, played by character actor Henry Silva. A quick peice of trivia… legendary stunt man, Dar Robinson, doubling for Silva performed the highest free fall jump from a building (220 feet to be exact) in movie history. Needless to say, Silva’s character doesn’t survive Sharky’s Machine…
2. Bulletproof – Silva would go on to play a Middle Eastern character in the Gary Busey action movie, Bulletproof. If you question that decision, you aren’t alone. I asked that and 4 other questions about Bulletproof a while back. As I mentioned, Gary Busey is in the film and actually portrays the protagonist.
3. Lethal Weapon – Gary Busey also stars in Lethal Weapon, where he plays the antagonist. The movie also features the Hall of Fame duo of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, Tom Atkins and Mitchell Ryan as The General.
4. Aces: Iron Eagle III – Ryan played the character Simms in the third installment of the Iron Eagle franchise. The one constant in all the Iron Eagle movies was Louis Gossett Jr as Chappy Sinclair, but this one also featured a familiar face to action fans, Paul Freeman.
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark – Freeman’s most famous role was as Belloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark. This was the first on screen adventure for Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford). But who was the man who asked Indy to go on that fateful mission? None other than Major Eaton played by the late William Hootkins.
6. Batman – Hootkins played Lt. Eckhardt in 1989’s Batman, a movie that also featured Jack Nicholson as The Joker and Michael Keaton as Batman.
Keaton plays Monarch in 2014’s Need for Speed along with Aaron Paul of Breaking Bad fame. Need for Speed may very well be the highest rated movie based on a video game on IMDB.