The Checklist: Daredevil (S1 Ep9) “Speak of the Devil”
Netflix has really outdone itself with this new deal with Marvel to bring Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and finally The Defenders to the small streaming screen. If the tone of Daredevil is going to be similar to the other series to follow then I think that we’re in for quite the experience. When my action-loving brother Chris The Brain decided to start writing posts for The Checklist, putting something together for Daredevil was one of the first thoughts that came to mind. If you haven’t checked out the series yet you are way behind the curve. My recommendation is to take a vacation day and watch then entire series. Let’s check out how it stands up to the Checklist.
- Are there any super dark fight scenes? Of course! Daredevil operates in Hells Kitchen, he stays close to the shadows, and so far has been rocking the all black look so it makes perfect sense that he would fight people in the dark. The episode opens with DD fighting an unknown ninja and later on we get to see the outcome of that fight. Let me tell you…it is kickass. 1/1
- Does Wilson Fisk break out the white suit or the name “Kingpin”? He does not. Unfortunately for us, Fisk hasn’t quite turned into the serious supervillain that we know from the comics but from finishing the first season, I would say that it isn’t too far off. Just hang in there. 1/2
- Is there any mention of Matt Murdock and his religious beliefs? Murdock meets up with the Catholic priest at the beginning of the episode and gets a good talking to. These scenes always remind me of the scene from the movie Desperado with Antonio Banderas. 2/3
- Do we get to see Murdock as an attorney? There aren’t any courtroom scenes but there are a couple of Nelson and Murdock: Attorneys at Law scenes. That is one cool thing about this show compared to your average superhero beatdown show; it also brings on the element of Law & Order to it along with the ninja fights. Don’t forget about the ninja fights. 3/4
- Did Daredevil get the shit kicked out of him? Yup! Perhaps more shit than ever before. It seems like every episode has DD getting cut, shot, and just beaten up but this one has him as close to death as we’ve seen to this point. At this rate, the second episode of Season 2 will have him go through the torture scene from Braveheart. 4/5
4/5 = 80%